My eight year old son and I are getting ready to embark on a new scientific adventure with the help of The Old Schoolhouse's new product entitled The Curiosity Files. I allowed him to make a choice between the following topics:
- Blue Diamond
- Dung Beetle
- Puffer Fish
- Red Tide
- Zombie Fire Ants
- Blue-Footed Booby
- Cicada-Killing Wasp
The Curiosity Files are e-books, so once you decide what you would like to study you download the e-book and you can start right away. I don't typically print mine off, but some choose to print the entire book. I only print pages that I want him to keep as reference pages or pages that require him to write. Our MRSA book is 92 pages of informative, fun, learning.
The Curiosity Files are suited for a wide age range and would work well for any one ages 6-14 years and possibly even older or younger depending on the child. You can work these into your family with very little effort. Although I am doing this alone with my 8 year old, this would make an excellent Unit Study to do with the entire family. The cost of these e-books are $9.95 each or choose any 3 for $23.
So what exactly is included in The Curiosity Files: MRSA? There is something for everyone and it all begins with a question and answer session with your top notch Scientist extraordinaire, Ana Lyze (get it? Ana Lyze...analyze). She answer questions about MRSA, where it came from, what it means, what causes it, how to prevent it, and how to treat it. At the end of the Q&A there is a glossary to help you remember what you've learned, and a quick review 'quiz.'
After gaining some background information and obtaining a general understanding of MRSA, you begin to apply your knowledge using the different topics, subjects, and activities listed below:
- Bible There is a short Bible study that deals with sicknesses in Bible days, specifically leprosy.
- Math The metric system is explored using hands-on activities, equations are implored to teach the rate of growth in bacteria, and word problems are included as well.
- Writing Prompts and diagrams are given to help you along as you write you're very own paper on MRSA
- Spelling and Vocabulary There are lists for Elementary and Junior-High school and activities that go with each
- Copywork There are five scripture verses in manuscript and the same five are also offered in cursive for the older students
- History/Timeline "Major Events in the Fight Against Infections" You can create a new timeline or simply add to an already existing timeline.
- Geography "Superbug" game
- Art Create a Warning poster to let others know about MRSA (could be hung in a public area such as a nursing home or hospital) or fix get well cards.
- Music Fun clapping rhythms are used for remembering difficult terms and important facts
- Get Moving A game of tag is adapted to teach the spread of germs and how to avoid being infected
- Mini books, lap books, etc Information and supplies are provided to get you started
If you would like to see what other homeschoolers thought of this product, click here.
**Disclaimer: As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I received this product free of charge, in exchange for my honest opinion/review. For more honest reviews from real homeschoolers, visit the TOS Crew website